Healdswood Infant and Nursery School
Our Curriculum has been designed by our teachers but inspired by our children.
At Healdswood Infant and Nursery school we have developed a balanced and academically rigorous curriculum for all our learners. We have developed Our Curriculum Pledges for our children to ensure children are responsible, resilient and ready for their next chapter of their education.
Our Curriculum Pledges
1. To value each child as an individual, striving to provide a curriculum, which is engaging, purposeful and intertwined with knowledge and skills.
2. To provide a curriculum that broadens our children’s learning experience both in and beyond the community and school, as our children experience a range of trips, visits and outside visitors.
3. To embed our school values in our curriculum and to educate our children to be individuals; who care and respect each other, the community, the environment and the wider world.
4. To spark curiosity, awe, wonder and enable our children to appreciate and marvel in the world in which they live, through our curriculum.
5. To immerse our children in a language and vocabulary rich curriculum.
6. To foster a school community that values partnerships with parents, who understand and support how our curriculum can foster a love of learning.
7. To nurture our children to become confident and resilient learners, through a curriculum that values our children’s well-being.
Our Curriculum Principles
Our Curriculum Pledges and Vision drive everything that we do at Healdswood Infant and Nursery School. Our relentless pursuit of excellence means that we strive to exceed the requirements of the National Curriculum. We do this through a coherent and progressive teaching sequences so that children master knowledge, skills and understanding for each curriculum subject. We develop children’s understanding through rich, connected learning opportunities and experiences so that our children can connect new knowledge with existing knowledge. For example, prior to learning about the events of the Great Fire of London in Year 2, the children will be familiar with modern London and landmarks such as the River Thames, St Pauls Cathedral and Tower Bridge in a geography sequence of learning in Year 1.
Our Curriculum is developed to ensure that our children are both ‘Interesting and Interested". We want them to be ‘Interesting' to talk to, because they understand about the world and 'Interested' in sparking curiosity, awe, wonder.
Mathematics at Healdswood
At Healdswood, we want all pupils to experience the power and enjoyment of mathematics and to develop a sense of curiosity. At Healdswood Infant School we foster positive can do attitudes and we promote: ‘We can all do mathematics!’ We believe all children can achieve in mathematics, and teach for secure and deep understanding of mathematical concepts. We are focused at Healdswood in children becoming fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge accurately . This enables children to become true masters of content, applying knowledge through rich and challenging problems.
Talk 4 Writing
We believe at Healdswood that every child has the potential to be a writer and confident readers. Essentially, we use storytelling (which includes the teaching of non-fiction texts as well as fiction and poetry) throughout the school to teach writing. At Healdswood, we believe in providing children with the opportunity to be enriched by language, therefore we use a ’Talk 4 Writing' approach to teaching English. Talk 4 Writing enables our children to internalise the language orally before reading and analysing and then innovating their own story. We have a curriculum of high-quality texts which are used throughout school that builds children's knowledge of literature. We provide a language rich environment, with an emphasis on talk and vocabulary, which underpins our curriculum so that children can thrive and become confident, literate individuals.